“ My mom used to make white rice with curry for dinner, but I thought it would be good to make it more healthy, so I used brown rice instead and added chickpeas to the curry,” says Alexander. “I like tofu, so I decided to add baked tofu to the top layer. We usually have a salad with most of our dinners, and I think that is healthy.”
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the tofu on a paper towel−lined plate and press with another paper towel to squeeze excess water out of the tofu. Cut into bite-sized cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, nutritional yeast (optional), garlic, and salt. Add the cubed tofu and toss to coat the pieces in the flour mixture. Spray a baking sheet to prevent sticking and spread the tofu in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes, gently stirring once during baking so all pieces are evenly browned.
- While the tofu is baking, in a large stockpot, boil 2 cups of water, the vegetable broth, and rice over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove the rice from the heat and add the chopped cilantro.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook for about 8 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, curry powder, coconut milk, low-fat milk, chickpeas, and salt, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To assemble, layer brown rice, curry sauce, and finally baked tofu on top.
State: North Carolina
Child’s Name: Alexander Tschegg, 8
Avoid produce with pesticides by cooking with the 'Clean 15' fruits and vegetables. Thank you Today Show for this segment this morning.
Thank you Cecil and Isaac for the delicious lunch prepared today for us.
We are excited to have iHeartRadio and 939mia as sponsors of the 28th Annual Bowling to Fight Hunger to benefit Poverello. Be sure to join us September 8th at Sawgrass Lanes for our... https://t.co/wWzgO2nYRA
We are excited to have iHeartRadio and 939mia as sponsors of the 28th Annual Bowling to Fight Hunger to benefit Poverello. Be sure to join us September 8th at Sawgrass Lanes for our... https://t.co/wWzgO2nYRA— Poverello (@HungerFighter) April 19, 2018