Ingredients (4 servings)
2 medium butternut squash
6 medium potatoes
1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
3 ¾ cups milk, heated.
3 tbsp thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Peel butternut squash and potatoes. Remove butternut squash seeds and cut both vegetables into ¼ inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Bechamel Sauce (3 cups):
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown — about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- On a baking pan add a layer of butternut squash, potatoes, bechamel sauce, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, ½ tbsp thyme, and a dash of salt and pepper. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Place pan in the middle or lower rack of the oven and let it cook for approx. 40 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add more thyme to garnish and serve.